Sunday, March 7, 2010

Education Blogs... Hard to find

I have been looking up education blogs for the past 1.5 hours. No, this is not something I normally do in my free time. I am currently working on research for a grad class I am taking. I have found this process very interesting.

Either I am very inept at searching for blogs that pertain to education in an regard or the search engines struggle with providing good sources for blog searches. I found plenty of hosting sites for education blogs, but once there had a hard time finding functional blogs to read and comment on. I guess I am curious to know why it is so easy to post online, but so hard to be found once you have posted? Are there communities out there that help to keep bloggers connected and read?

I hope I can find a blog in time to complete the assignment. Maybe I am just being too picky and not participating in one that looks like simple teacher ramblings. I want to find one that is mainly factual and a good structured resource for my teaching and endeavours as an educator.


5 hours later
----
After finding a blog of another NYC educator I finally found something to comment on and participate within. This blog ranged from random video postings to anecdotes about the classroom to major commentary about the functioning of the teachers Union. It was the later of these that I chose to comment on. I have found a fascination with the teachers union and how passionate people get around politics. As a New York City teacher I feel I have benefited greatly from the power and influence of the UFT. By reading this blog, however, I became informed that the union itself has many factions or groups that are competing for power and jobs within the larger union. It was very interesting to see two opposing members of the union attack each other verbally on mental prowess and factual basis. I interjected in hopes of learning some more about the divisions within the union I am apart of. My naivety became drastically apparent when responses came back. I am not inspired to learn more about the organization I take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment