Sunday, February 20, 2011

Learning theory, Instruction and Technology Reflection

At the beginning of this course I stated in an assignment that I believed firmly in Jean Peaget's explaination of schema theory. That is each person as different constructs within which they input new and existing information. New knowledge that doesn't fit into those constructs or schema either needs assimilation or accommodation. Each of these process require the modification of something; the schema construct or the knowledge being fit into existing schema. I continue to believe in this way of thinking as it visually makes sense to me. The idea of the current ability being based on each person's individual constructs I see as being a baseline from which to grow and learn more.



The Zone of Proximal Development [ZPD] (as shown in the image) once again helps me to visualize what is needed to help students to accomodate or assimilate new knowledge into their current repertoire.

Through this course I have learned the importance of the Social Constructivist approach to teaching. I feel this aligns amazingly well with that which I presented at the beginning of the course. My previous mental construct was that of me as teacher being the only one that can help to scaffold and support each and every student's access and growth through the ZPD. However, in a way social constructivism makes my job easier because I can now rely on and expect students to push each other to learn more through their own interactions. Glazer (2001) states this about constructivism in the classroom, “new ideas are most likely to be created when learners are actively engaged in building some type of external artifact that they can reflect upon and share with others.” Sharing with others helps students to open up their own schema's to different ways of thinking and processing information. The simple notion that it is coming from a peer seems to make students more open and receptive to new information. Rather than it coming from an "expert" teacher who has studied this way more than they have. I have seen this social constructivist approach actually broaden the ZPD of some of my most resistant students. In class they have been more actively engaged and readily dive into information they might not have in the past.

As a result of what I learned in this course I would like to make two long term goals of incorporating this into my teaching.
1. Use a social constructivist approach in every unit either as an introduction, exploration or culminating activity.
2. Ensure the use of technology as a tool to encourage students exploring knowledge on their own and producing external artifacts to share with their classmates.


Glazer, E. (2001). Problem Based Instruction. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved 2-20-11, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

No comments:

Post a Comment